Week by week we will build an Essential Oils First Aid Kit that you can keep in your home, office or place of work.
What are essential oils
Aromatic plants and oils have been used for thousands of years offering a wide range of uses including cosmetic, culinary and medicinal purposes.
The vital life force of a plant, flower, tree, etc. when harvested becomes the essential oils we know and love today.
Lavender – Lavendula Agustifolia
Known as the essential oil
Lavender is useful for :
- Headaches and migraines, insomnia and relaxation. Use one drop on your pillow (only one drop).
- Burns and sunburn when mixed with a base cream or lotion.
- Muscular aches, pains and sprains. It is an anti-inflammatory,
- A lavender gargle (not to be swallowed) aids bad breath and mouth ulcers.
Ti Tree ( Tea Tree) Melaleuca Alternifolia
An antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial essential oil.
Tea Tree is useful for:
- Colds, flu and fever when inhaled as a steam preparation.
- Excellent as a gargle for a sore throat
- Has proven efficacy for acne, athlete’s foot, cold sores bites and stings.
- Mix one drop in a pint of previously boiled water and it can be used to wipe down surfaces giving an antiseptic, refreshing and clean environment.
How to use essential oils
We can use essential oils in many ways;
- Inhalation, compression, foot baths, lotions, creams, massage, bathing and some can even be used neat on the skin (but caution must be taken).
- The use of essential oils can offer physical, mental or emotional benefits.
- When preparing to use essential oils always remember less is better. Start with one drop and only increase to three in total in 10mls of whatever medium you choose; water, base oil, cream or lotion.
Safety must always be considered
- Do not use essential oils if pregnant or a nursing mother.
- Take care with sensitive or inflamed skin and cuts.
- Essential oils are highly flammable and volatile substances so keep away from naked flames or cigarettes.
- Do not use more than prescribed, less is always better.
- Do not take it internally.
- Use only pure essential oils.