Week by week we will build an Essential Oils First Aid Kit that you can keep in your home, office or place of work.
What are essential oils
Aromatic plants and oils have been used for thousands of years offering a wide range of uses including cosmetic, culinary and medicinal purposes.
The vital life force of a plant, flower, tree, etc. when harvested becomes the essential oils we know and love today.
Peppermint – Mentha Piperita
This is an extremely useful, stimulating, uplifting and refreshing oil.
Peppermint is useful for :
Headaches, migraine and mental fatigue in a steam inhalation
Asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis and spasmodic cough in a steam inhalation
Nervous stress and fainting
Neuralgia and muscular pains
Colic, cramp, dyspepsia, flatulence and nausea
Geranium Pelargonium graveolens
Geranium is an excellent hormonal regulator. It eases all conditions concerned with blood flow.
Geranium is useful for:
- Skin conditions including congested skin, eczema, acne, bruises, burns and cuts
- Cellulitis and poor circulation
- Sore throat and tonsillitis
- Menopausal problems and PMT
- Nervous tension, neuralgia and stress related conditions
Caution to be taken as may cause skin irritation. Some people find the smell somewhat heady and sweet, and can be overwhelming.
How to use essential oils
We can use essential oils in many ways;
- Inhalation, compression, foot baths, lotions, creams, massage, bathing and some can even be used neat on the skin (but caution must be taken).
- The use of essential oils can offer physical, mental or emotional benefits.
- When preparing to use essential oils always remember less is better. Start with one drop and only increase to three in total in 10mls of whatever medium you choose; water, base oil, cream or lotion.
Safety must always be considered
- Do not use essential oils if pregnant or a nursing mother.
- Take care with sensitive or inflamed skin and cuts.
- Essential oils are highly flammable and volatile substances so keep away from naked flames or cigarettes.
- Do not use more than prescribed, less is always better.
- Do not take it internally.
- Use only pure essential oils.