What is Indian Head Massage?
Indian head massage, also known as Champissage, is a treatment that focuses on massaging acupressure points along the head, neck and shoulders often using circular massage strokes to improve hair and scalp condition.
It originates from an Indian alternative medicine system called Ayurveda whereby it is believed that the mind and body are intricately connected and thus can influence one another. Through this theory, it is understood that Indian head massage can not only reduce headaches and improve physical well-being, but it can also improve mental and emotional wellness too.
What conditions does Indian Head Massage help with?
Indian Head Massage can:
- Promote hair growth by increasing oxygen in the hair follicles which stimulates growth and health.
- Prevent headaches and migraines by releasing built-up tension in the head and neck area and relieving muscle stiffness
- Renew and balance energy levels by working with the three higher chakras
- Relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety through relaxation
- Boost memory capabilities by relieving stress and quieting the mind
- Stimulate lymphatic drainage by circulating blood to the neck area
- Improve sleep by reducing stress
What to expect during an Indian Head Massage?
A typical Indian head massage treatment usually starts with the shoulders, working into this area especially as it often holds a lot of tension. The upper back may also be massaged working around the shoulder blade. Following this, flowing motions will move up the neck massaging and stretching to relieve any stress and tension.
Finally, the scalp is then massaged along the acupressure points on the head, and in non-corporate settings, followed up by the forehead and the area around the eyes.