Week by week we will build an Essential Oils First Aid Kit that you can keep in your home, office or place of work.
What are essential oils
Aromatic plants and oils have been used for thousands of years offering a wide range of uses including cosmetic, culinary and medicinal purposes.
The vital life force of a plant, flower, tree, etc. when harvested becomes the essential oils we know and love today.
Myrrh was originally used for embalming and has exceptional curative powers, especially for open wounds.
Myrrh is useful for:
- Skin care, athlete’s foot, chapped, cracked skin, wounds, and wrinkles
- Arthritis, muscles aches and pains
- Catarrh, coughs, gum infections, mouth ulcers, sore throat and voice loss
- Dyspepsia, flatulence and haemorrhoids
Caution excessive use can cause nausea and vomiting take care.
Sandalwood is a calming, antiseptic and sedative oil, especially good for the treatment of insomnia. It is excellent for men as they like the woody smell.
Sandalwood is useful for:
- Skin care, acne, dry, greasy, cracked and chapped skin, aftershave (baber’s rash) and is a particularly good moisturiser
- Bronchitis, catarrh sore throat and tickly cough
- Nausea, insomnia and cystitis
- Depression, nervous tension, and stress-related complaints
Caution relatively non-toxic but care should be taken because of the sedative properties of the oil, Do not use for grief, loneliness or loss of a partner.
How to use essential oils
We can use essential oils in many ways;
- Inhalation, compression, foot baths, lotions, creams, massage, bathing and some can even be used neat on the skin (but caution must be taken).
- The use of essential oils can offer physical, mental or emotional benefits.
- When preparing to use essential oils always remember less is better. Start with one drop and only increase to three in total in 10mls of whatever medium you choose; water, base oil, cream or lotion.
Safety must always be considered
- Do not use essential oils if pregnant or a nursing mother.
- Take care with sensitive or inflamed skin and cuts.
- Essential oils are highly flammable and volatile substances so keep away from naked flames or cigarettes.
- Do not use more than prescribed, less is always better.
- Do not take it internally.
- Use only pure essential oils.