Week by week we will build an Essential Oils First Aid Kit that you can keep in your home, office or place of work.
What are essential oils
Aromatic plants and oils have been used for thousands of years offering a wide range of uses including cosmetic, culinary and medicinal purposes.
The vital life force of a plant, flower, tree, etc. when harvested becomes the essential oils we know and love today.
Chamaemelum Nobile (Roman)
Chamomile Matricara Recurtia (German)
Chamomile has a low toxicity and can therefore be used frequently. It is suitable for children- particularly for irritability and hyperactivity.
Chamomile is useful for:
- Skin care such as acne, allergies, boils, burns, chilblains, dermatitis, insect bites, rashes and inflammation.
- Arthritis, inflamed joints, muscular pain and neuralgia.
- Digestive problems, dyspepsia, colic, indigestion and nausea.
- Headaches, insomnia and stress related complaints
- Great for children in an exceptionally low dosage.
Eucalyptus (Blue Gum)
Eucalyptus Globulus var, globulus
Eucalyptus is a strong antiseptic and therefore may be effective against bacterial and viral infections. It is a cooling and clearing oil, a powerful decongestant.
Eucalyptus is useful for:
- Skin care, insect bites, stings infections
- Muscular pains, rheumatoid arthritis
- Decongestant, coughs, colds, asthma Sinusitis, throat infection,
- Neuralgia cystitis
How to use essential oils
We can use essential oils in many ways;
- Inhalation, compression, foot baths, lotions, creams, massage, bathing and some can even be used neat on the skin (but caution must be taken).
- The use of essential oils can offer physical, mental or emotional benefits.
- When preparing to use essential oils always remember less is better. Start with one drop and only increase to three in total in 10mls of whatever medium you choose; water, base oil, cream or lotion.
Safety must always be considered
- Do not use essential oils if pregnant or a nursing mother.
- Take care with sensitive or inflamed skin and cuts.
- Essential oils are highly flammable and volatile substances so keep away from naked flames or cigarettes.
- Do not use more than prescribed, less is always better.
- Do not take it internally.
- Use only pure essential oils.